Requirements for Obtaining a Passport
BASIC PASSPORT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
(Refer to the Passport Application for complete instructions.)
To apply you will need:
- Passport Application: Complete sections 1 through 21, printing legibly using BLACK INK ONLY. Do not sign the application. The applicant must be present to process an application. Only after the application has been reviewed and the applicant has declared by oath to the information within the application in the presence of the acceptance agent shall the application be signed.
- To submit an application for a child under age 16 both parents or the child’s legal guardian(s) must appear and present proof of the child’s citizenship, evidence of the child’s relationship to the parents/guardian(s), AND parental/guardian identification. If only one parent appears, additional documentation is required.
- If applicant is 16-17 years of age, he/she must appear and at least one parent must sign the application in front of acceptance agent.
- Proof of Citizenship:
- Applicants born in the US: Submit a previous US Passport or certified birth certificate
- Applicants born outside of the US: Submit a previous US passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Report of Birth Abroad. For other claims of citizenship, refer to the passport application.
- Proof of Identity: The following items may be acceptable: previous or current US Passport, driver’s license (not temporary or learner’s license), Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, military identification, or federal, state or municipal government identification card. Temporary or altered documents are not acceptable.
- For applicants under the age of 18, parent(s) will also need to provide identification.
- Passport Photo: There are specific requirements for a passport photo. (The Auditor’s office can take this photo.)
- Payment for passport and processing fees: You may apply for a US Passport Book, a US Passport Card or both with one application. Fees are as follows:
- Passport Book is good for air travel, land border crossing, and/or sea ports of entry.
For 16 years or older: $110.00* (valid for 10 years)
Under 16 years: $80.00* (valid for 5 years)
- Passport Card is good for land border crossing and/or sea ports of entry when traveling from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card is NOT valid for international air travel.
For 16 years or older: $30.00* (valid for 10 years)
Under 16 years: $15.00* (valid for 5 years)
- Processing Fee: $25.00** per passport
- Passport Picture: $10.00** per applicant
- Processing time is approximately 4-6 weeks. However, an application may be processed within 2-3 weeks for additional fees:
$24.70** to Express Mail to Passport Services
$60.00* for Passport Services to expedite their process
$15.89* passport delivery to the applicant’s mailing address via overnight delivery
*Check or money order required, made payable to US Department of State
**The Floyd County Auditor’s office will accept personal checks, money orders, cash and debit/credit cards. A processing fee for cards will be charged at the time of payment.
For more information, refer to the passport application, visit travel.state.gov, call National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778, e-mail NPIC@state.gov, or contact the Auditor’s office.
Passport applications may be obtained in the Auditor's Office or you can download the form from the US Department of State - Bureau of Consular Affairs website at Travel.State.gov.
Consult your travel agent or the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit.