Floyd County Environmental Health (FCEH) strives to meet preventive health care goals for citizens of Floyd County. The department goal is to reduce or eliminate environmental health risk factors that cause human suffering, disease or injuries. FCEH accomplishes these goals through consultation, education, inspections, investigations, and enforcement. Some of the areas covered by FCEH include: Drinking Water Supply, Air Quality, Private Septic Systems, Nuisance Complaints and Disaster Response.
We commit, through personal and organizational excellence, to improve the environmental health of Floyd CountyDuties of the Department
- Issues well permits for all private wells
- Collects water samples from private wells
- Oversees the plugging of abandoned wells and cisterns, as well as the rehabilitation of wells
- Issues permits for private sewage disposal systems and inspects each system that is installed in the county
- Performs time of transfer inspections
- Investigates environmental and nuisance complaints
- Completes various other environmental and public health duties
To view the Nuisance Ordinance and file a Nuisance Complaint
Nuisance Ordinance (pdf)
Nuisance Procedures (pdf)
Complaint Form (pdf)
Fill in Complaint form
Septic Systems & Septic/Well Permit Fees
Fees for a septic permit and a well permit are $200 effective January 1, 2010, and must be paid to the County Sanitarian prior to any work commencing. Access ordinances and procedures concerning the installation of septic systems for more information.
Septic Contractors List
Well Drillers List
To schedule your Free Private Well Water Test
The county also reimburses up to $500 for the closing of an abandoned private well, up to $300 for a cistern plugging, and up to $1000 for a private well reconstruction. A bill must be submitted to the County Sanitarian before a reimbursement check can be issued.